Ependymoma Awareness Day 2024
Patients, care partners, and medical professionals from around the world dedicate May 5, 2024, as the 13th annual international Ependymoma Awareness Day (EAD)!
Ependymoma Awareness Day
Join the CERN Foundation and the National Brain Tumor Society during Brain Tumor Awareness Month to commemorate Ependymoma Awareness Day! On Ependymoma Awareness Day, butterflies around the world are released to honor loved ones with ependymoma, recognize care partners and medical workers, and support ependymoma research efforts. The delicate and beautiful butterfly was chosen to represent the spirit of the ependymoma community as a symbol of hope through change. This year, Ependymoma Awareness Day will be held on May 5 in coordination with Race for Hope DC and Head to the Hill.
Held every year since 2012 as a global advocacy event, Ependymoma Awareness Day was created to increase public recognition of this rare tumor and shine a light on the urgent need for more clinical studies to improve diagnostic methods, develop better-targeted treatments and improve outcomes for those living with this disease.
On May 5, stories, videos, and photos from the ependymoma community will be released throughout the day on Facebook, Twitter, email newsletter, and the CERN Foundation website. Get involved by hosting your own local community Ependymoma Awareness Day event or join us in Washington, DC!
Stay tuned for more details and make sure to share with your family and friends!
Ependymoma Awareness Outreach
Create Awareness Where You Live! On a local level, we urge you to host your own community Ependymoma Awareness Day event or participate in an ependymoma awareness activity, both helping to create a greater understanding of the disease. You could raise awareness in the following ways:
- Get creative and participate in a butterfly-themed craft or art activity. Ideas include the CERN Butterfly Coloring Page and creating chalk art on the driveway, work, or school. Email us a copy and post it on social media with the tag #CERNButterfly.
- Share information about ependymoma with another person. Make sure to tell your medical team about Ependymoma Awareness Day!
- Document your awareness efforts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, or blog. Use the hashtags #CERNButterfly #EAD2024 #epENDymoma #GRAYMAY #BTAM
- Register your team for the National Brain Tumor Society Race for Hope DC on May 5, 2024, in Washington, D.C., and designate your team’s proceeds to the Ependymoma Fund! Stop by the Ependymoma Awareness Day table at Race for Hope for EAD activities and give-a-ways!
- Please join us on Sunday, May 5, between 4-6 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency D.C. to kick off the Head to the Hill event and honor Ependymoma Awareness Day. The Head to the Hill Welcome Reception on Sunday, May 5 will provide a space for meaningful connection with community members over drinks and appetizers. As a special way to acknowledge Ependymoma Awareness Day, there will be an optional creative art experience, Ependymoma Awareness Day slideshow and remarks, and more. Registration to attend is required (Make sure to confirm your participation on the Head to the Hill Registration page. If you are not attending Head to the Hill, but would still like to attend the Welcome Reception and Ependymoma Awareness Day Event, please register here.)
- Join us for Head to the Hill, NBTS’s flagship advocacy event on May 6-7, 2024, in Washington, D.C and advocate on behalf of the brain tumor community. Participants return to Capitol Hill to share personal stories about their brain tumor experience and advocate for the federal government to make strategic investments in brain tumor research and address other critical issues affecting the brain tumor community.
- Support the Ependymoma Fund or Fundraise Your Way! Plan your own Ependymoma Awareness Day activity, and we’ll give you the resources to make your fundraiser a success! Ask for your support to be directed to the Ependymoma Fund when you create your page.
- Register for the Ependymoma Support Conversations — a virtual community gathering on Zoom — on May 5, 2024, at 1 p.m. ET.
We want to hear from you!
Please share your awareness day plans with us and submit pictures of your activities to firstname.lastname@example.org. Content you share might be used to give other community members ideas for ways to get involved. View the 2023 Ependymoma Awareness Day photo album and read the 2023 EAD Outreach Report for more inspiration to get you started. Let us know how you plan to join us in this global advocacy event and raise awareness for ependymoma!