Developing a Written Survivorship Care Plan
The survivorship care plan in the book From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition also includes a written follow-up plan incorporating evidence-based standards of care.
The plan contains the following information:
- Likely course of recovery from treatment-related side effects
- Need for ongoing, additional therapy
- Recommended cancer screenings, any other tests and how often they should be performed
- Possible long-term or delayed treatment-related side effects and symptoms to watch for
- Possible signs of recurrence and second cancers
- Specific recommendations for healthy behaviors, such as diet, exercise, eliminating any smoking habits and weight management
- The use of natural or laboratory-made substances to prevent, inhibit or reverse the development of cancer
- Genetic testing, if appropriate, to learn of genetic susceptibility to cancers
- Possible effects of cancer on relationships, work or finances and ways to get help
- Referrals to specific follow-up care providers and supportive services
- A list of cancer-related resources and information
Have you been affected by ependymoma?
Help others who are going through similar experiences.